Sunday, May 23, 2010

Iron Cupcake Challenge

Today was the Iron Cupcake Challenge in Moorestown. A wonderful event hosted by Kati Angelini of Kati's Kupcakes. A portion of the proceeds went to the Animal Welfare Association in Voorhees. Because of this the theme for the challenge was 'Animals'. This was the first time I've ever entered any sort of competition. I decided to make the 'Barrel of Monkeys' just like the toy. What goes better with monkeys than bananas! So the cupcakes were my popular Banana Chocolate Chip with Cream Cheese Buttercream. And even though I did not place I would definitely attend another of Kati's Iron Cupcake Challenges. If you are in Southern New Jersey and would like to attend the next one in July check out the Meetup site for Iron Cupcake Challenge.


I created a mold for the fondant monkey toppers to make sure it looked exactly like the game pieces in 'Barrel of Monkeys'.


The barrel was 2 jumbo size cupcakes put together and covered in fondant.




I also covered the cake board with fondant to give it something extra.






2 comments:

  1. Shandi--You did an amazing job yesterday--your creation was utterly fabulous and not only that--delicious too!! It was so great to meet you and have you attend the challenge--looking forward to more of your creations--I had a look at your blog and your website--very awesome--you are truly talented--so glad to meet another baking enthusiast so close to home!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! I thought they were actual monkeys but when i read your post that you created a mold for it, i was thoroughly impressed. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete


View more cake photos in the Galleries at distinctivecakes.com