Monday, February 8, 2010

Snowy Trees...

I never cooked a Bundt cake, never owned a Bundt pan. But I like to try new things. So I was thrilled when I received a Bundt pan and keeper from my Godson Charles. He picked out a pan that looks like pine trees in a circle. As we were getting snowed in on Saturday I found my self staring at the snow covered pines out back and thinking snow covered pine trees Bundt cake??? Perfect!



Now what kind of Bundt to make? I usually like to look in my cabinets to see the ingredients I'd like to use up. I'm a big fan of Solo products, as you can see from this picture!! I had seen the Almond paste in the store and had to have it! Almond is one of my favorite flavors in cakes and baking, so I decided the Bundt would be an almond cake, but still had no recipe. Lo and behold on the back of the label was a perfect recipe for Almond Cake that could be baked in a Bundt pan, this was really meant to be.


The Bundt pan and cake keeper. Thank you Charles!



It was very easy to make, and turned out delicious! And I think with the addition of some buttercream snow drifts and powered sugar it really does look like the snow covered pines out back! It was perfect for a snowy day!





Here is the recipe. I did not use the glaze since I knew I would be decorating it, but I'm sure the glaze is delicious with it too.

Solo Almond Cake:
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 can Solo Almond filling
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk

Almond Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 Tbsp. light cream
1/4 tsp. almond extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 10" tube pan or 12 cup Bundt pan. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in almond filling and until well blended. Stir flour, baking powder and salt until mixed. Add to almond mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat until blended. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. To make glaze, combine confectioners sugar, cream and almond extract in small bowl, stir until blended and smooth. Spoon or drizzle over top of cake. Let set.


No comments:

Post a Comment


View more cake photos in the Galleries at distinctivecakes.com